Art of the Needle
When you can’t get the #clasp or #closure you want; make some yourself!
#leather #handsewing #handcrafting inspired #arya #jerkin #got

When you can’t get the #clasp or #closure you want; make some yourself!
#leather #handsewing #handcrafting inspired #arya #jerkin #got

Matching bolero
#corset #underbust

Matching bolero
#corset #underbust

A black #overbust #corset for my sweet redheaded friend

A black #overbust #corset for my sweet redheaded friend

The finished piece. What shal I call it?!?!..O.o
I need a better mannequin to show of that fab hipspring!
#corset #sheer #mesh

The finished piece. What shal I call it?!?!..O.o
I need a better mannequin to show of that fab hipspring! #corset #sheer #mesh

Behind the scene at #manifest shoot.
#corset #fetich

Behind the scene at #manifest shoot.
#corset #fetich

More of the Arya jerkin..sleeve detail.
Ouch my fingers are sore..o.O
#work #got #arya

More of the Arya jerkin..sleeve detail.
Ouch my fingers are sore..o.O
#work #got #arya

Finishing an Arya inspired jerkin. 
#work #got

Finishing an Arya inspired jerkin.
#work #got

And this is how far I have come as of 23 of july.

The corset does not fit the dressform, but it is the only one I have.

Preparing the seam allowance for the ribbon. Cutting it and sewing it down. The stitching will be hidden by the ribbon in the front.

This fabric has a tendency to fray, and since I have it in my hands and work with it because of the embroidering, it frays a lot more at the edges. So much so, that I needed to darn it before my seam allowance disappeared.

This fabric has a tendency to fray, and since I have it in my hands and work with it because of the embroidering, it frays a lot more at the edges. So much so, that I needed to darn it before my seam allowance disappeared.

I have been sick for a week and in my feverish dreams I got this wonderful idea.

I remember thinking:
"Uhhh it would look nice with some bluish…."
My rational brain:
"Do not even finish that thought"
Me:
"…embroidery to set it off"
Rational brain:
"No it will not!"
Me:
"I even think I might have some blue cotton embroidery yarn"
Rational brain:
"NO YOU DON`T!!..NO NO NO. What are you doing, you are SICK. STAY in bed"
Me:
"Uuuuuuuh..NICE!!"
Rational brain:
"You will sooo regret this!!!"
Me:
"And finish it off with light blue swarovski beads, let me go on ebay and see if I can find some..:D.."
Rational brain:
*FACEPALM*

I regret it a bit, I would have been finished with it by now. It has been a month and I am still embroidering on it. Almost done though. And next the beads..o.O..

By the way, since I am far from professional in embroidery, I have been restitiching it lot. WHAT WERE I THINKING!

The plan from the beginning was to use only a fashion fabric and coutil. No lining.
I will add a blue ribbon to cover the seams in front and to hide the seam allowance in the back.
I have chosen to line the center front and back, to add a busk and make channels for bones. I only had enough of the fashion fabric for the corset pieces (I bought it in India for a different purpose, but used it for the corset in stead, and since India is so far away..well..another solution was needed) so I found a nice golden polyester satin, and strengthened it some more by ironing on a layer of (and I just don´t remember the english word for it, I am sorry..:(..it is called Stryge lærred in danish and my google fu is not strong enough..does any one now the name?)

Here is the one side of the corset in the golden/brown fashion fabric. I have basted it by hand to the coutil.Damn, I´ve just noticed I´ve used the center back piece from the other half..:P

Here is the one side of the corset in the golden/brown fashion fabric. I have basted it by hand to the coutil.

Damn, I´ve just noticed I´ve used the center back piece from the other half..:P

I have made the alterations I have mentioned in the previous post to the paper pattern.
But I have also nipped 12 cm of around the waist, made the seams between panel 3 and 4, 4 and 5 (counted from center front) flatter at the bust and lifted the point of the nipple 1 cm higher, so the corset will give the bust a nice push up effect.
I know my body quite well, so in stead of sewing it up in calico one more time, I did it in mink coloured coutil from Vena Cava Design.
After trying it on, I noticed one minor alteration was needed above the bust, otherwise it sits really nicely on me.

And here am I trying it on.

It is not taken in at the waist for now. When I work on a totally new pattern, I would like to have it fit properly to the body, before I take the waist in, or push up the bust.

Here Ginie is helping me in adjusting it..:P.

It sits more or less nicely but far from perfect. It gapes under the arm, it is to long (there is to much fabric) just under the shoulderblades from center back and out. It is to high in the waist, as I thought it would be, I will need to lower it by almost 2 cm, the curve is to large over the bust between panel 2 and 3 and I made the hip to small.

Back to the drawing board..;)